THE WISDOM OF TAO


He who knows other men is discerning; he who knows himself is intelligent. He who overcomes others is strong; he who overcomes himself is mighty.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Do You Hear What I Hear?


I wonder, if I looked out your eyes, would I see what you see?





If all your life you have been told that this color is Yellow, and all my life I have been told this color is Yellow but my eyes and brain and however it all works makes that color appear to me like Blue would look like to you. We would never know. You would say how good those Roses look in Yellow and I would agree.



I would tell you to run outside your house to look at that amazing sunrise and you would yell at me for waking you up, but when you looked at it you would apologize because it was amazing. But if I could see it through your eyes I would be so confused and it would look so unnatural because the Blues I see are the Reds that you see.


I would be comfortable thinking that red apples in my eyes would be blue in yours, because I had lived with that all my life.






What about pain? Is my tolerance for pain different then yours because we don’t feel the same thing? And what about pleasure? Am I getting ripped off because what I feel as ecstasy to you feels multiple times more intense for you? Is that why some people can tolerate tickling more then some others? It’s all very simple, or else it’s all very complex, or perhaps it’s neither, or both.


Don’t even get me started on taste.







I don’t understand you. You don’t understand me. What else do we have in common?

1 comment:

McKayJoice said...

You have been on this kick for a while.

And really there is no way of ever knowing. . . Unless we get to the other side and then god tells us all what the real colors where.
I have tried to explain this to a few people. . . they never understand.

"it would be an awfully big adventure to die" -Peter Pan